Nationwide Insurance Reviews 2023
Is Nationwide a Reliable Choice for Your Coverage Needs?
Get quotes from verified agents easily.
Last Updated: July 5, 2023
Explore what Nationwide insurance provides its customers. This review highlights what the company provides and how much the policies cost insurance seekers. Read more to see why they are one of the top insurance companies in the country.
Overview of Nationwide Insurance Rating
- Reviews: Clearsurance (3,018), Better Business Bureau (264), Consumer Affairs (2,426), Total (5,708)
- Rating: Clearsurance (4), Better Business Bureau (1.15), Consumer Affairs (3.4), Average (2.85 out of 5)
- Phone number: (877) 669-6877
- Address: 1 Nationwide Plz, Columbus, OH 43215-2226
About Nationwide Insurance
Nationwide is one of the top companies in the insurance industry. They have been in business since 1926. The company initially started by selling car insurance policies. Since then, it has expanded its reach to offering property, business, and life insurance in 47 states.
According to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, Nationwide has a market share of 3.38% and wrote $5 billion in premiums. This makes it one of the top 10 insurance companies in the United States.
Furthermore, Nationwide also has an A+ financial strength rating from AM Best, and an A+ rating from Better Business Bureau. Given their operational history, they provide an all-inclusive insurance product to their clients. So, for insurance seekers who wish to have a reliable coverage plan to protect their assets, Nationwide is a great choice.
Here are some of the policies available from them.
|Homeowners||Business owners' policy|
|Classic Car||Food & beverage|
|ATV||Farm & ranch|
|Life||Commercial real estate|
Pros and Cons
- Few complaints about auto insurance to state regulators than expected.
- Customers who want to buy multiple products from the same company have a wide range of options.
- Loyalty bonuses include minor accident forgiveness, pet injury coverage, and car key replacement.
- According to recent J.D. Power studies, customer satisfaction for auto insurance is lower than average.
- Does not sell auto insurance in all states.
Nationwide Car Insurance Review
For this review, we will examine how Nationwide prices its policies for car insurance.
Nationwide Car Insurance
Nationwide started as a car insurance provider, and they have 100 years of industry experience. They provide the following types of insurance as a standard for all their customers.
- Bodily injury liability: Covers drivers and passengers when you are at fault in an accident.
- Property damage liability: Covers other vehicles involved in accidents that are your fault.
- Personal injury protection: Covers medical expenses, lost income, and death benefits for you and your passengers in an accident which is not your fault.
- Collision insurance: Covers your vehicle in case of an accident regardless of who is at fault.
- Comprehensive insurance: covers your vehicle from damage due to floods, fires, and natural disasters.
- Medical coverage: Covers the medical expenses for you and your passengers involved in an accident or injury.
- Underinsured/Uninsured motorist coverage: Protects you in the event of an accident with a driver with little or no insurance.
In addition to these, Nationwide also provides coverage options as add-ons.
- Roadside assistance: Facilitates you with towing, fuel delivery, or any roadside assistance when your vehicle breaks down while driving.
- Gap coverage: Covers the difference between your car loan and the actual cash value of your car in case of an accident.
- Rental reimbursement coverage: Provides a rental car or vehicle when your car needs repairing due to an accident.
According to Bankrate, the average car insurance cost in the U.S. Is around $1,655 ($138 per month). These costs can change depending on specific locations and factors. Similarly, the following table shows the costs of car insurance policies in some of the states where Nationwide operates.
Nationwide Car Insurance Cost By State
|District of Columbia||$2,538|
The above cost estimates are for drivers with good records and credit scores in their mid-thirties. On average, insured people tied up with Nationwide pay $1,533 annually for car insurance. This is slightly below the national average of $1,655.
Also, looking at each state specifically, Nationwide provides car insurance at low rates for states such as Vermont ($871) and Ohio ($701). In that regard, choosing an auto policy can be very beneficial for shoppers living in these states.
Your car insurance costs will vary according to age, driving history, and location. While these costs serve as a viable estimate, it is always good to get a personalized quote and compare auto insurance according to your needs.
Nationwide Insurance Discounts
In addition to having auto insurance costs lower than the national average, Nationwide also offers drivers various discounts. Some of which are:
Safe driver: You can be eligible for this discount if you have a clean driving record and are free of any accidents or traffic violations.
No accidents: If you’ve maintained an accident-free driving record, you can get a discount on your insurance plan.
Defensive driving: You can get discounts if you complete a state-approved safe driving course.
Multi-policy discount: If you bundle multiple insurance policies from Nationwide, you are eligible to receive discounts on your auto insurance.
Student discount: Student drivers between the ages of 16 to 24 with a grade of B or above can be eligible for discounts.
Customer Reviews and Complaints
Nationwide Building Society are undoubtedly, one of the finest Financial Organizations that you could ever deal with, especially for their ‘Customer Service’, ‘Their Products’ & also, the way in which they explain all their Services & Transactions, in a clear & easy to understand way. They offer a very comprehensive array of Accounts, ranging from: Current Acc, Various Savings Acc, ISA’s (both Long Term and Easy Access), Long & Short-Term Investment Plans, plus many others & they all have competitive Investment Rates of Interest.
Dropped phone in the sink, paid £50 excess and they gave me a voucher to cover the cost of a new identical phone
Usually very responsive, but not very good at dealing with claims everything is passed onto 3rd party organizations that don’t value the customer.
Customer beware nationwide home insurance it’s not fit for purpose I’ve been with them for a few years now I made a claim for a damaged leather sofa which was only eight months old at the time they use royal sun alliance.Source: Google Reviews
Despite offering clients multiple lines of insurance products, Nationwide hasn’t strayed from its early days of selling car insurance. They offer clients a variety of other vehicle type insurance, which includes motorcycle, RV, ATV, and golf carts, to mention a few. With such an array of coverage plans and car insurance brokers, they can insure clients easily.
Nationwide has various affordable insurance plans applicable for both new and experienced drivers. Furthermore, they also prioritize their customer service front as well. According to J.D. Power, Nationwide ranked ninth in their claims satisfaction study in 2020. But, in a separate Insurance Shopping Study by J.D. Power, they ranked last among the large insurers.
This does display concern about their overall customer satisfaction. Nationwide, being one of the larger insurance companies, there can be times when a few customers get left out while being serviced. However, these reviews represent a small number of overall policyholders.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are Nationwide insurance rates reasonable?
Yes, Nationwide insurance rates are competitive; according to WalletHub data, the company is one of the ten cheapest insurers in the country. Car insurance in the United States costs an average of $890 per year, or $74 per month.
Nationwide car insurance rates are determined by your driving record and experience, as well as factors such as the type of vehicle you drive, your ZIP code, your insurance history, and other factors. Your coverage and deductible choices, as well as your eligibility for discounts, all have an impact on your final quote.
Is Nationwide reliable when it comes to paying claims?
According to J.D. Power’s most recent claims satisfaction survey, Nationwide does a good job of paying claims when compared to the average insurance company. Nationwide’s claims process received an 868 out of 1,000 rating, compared to the industry average of 873 out of 1,000.
Find a Local Insurance Agent Near You
Get quotes from verified agents easily.
Find Insurance Agents Near You
Get quotes from verified agents easily.