Hagerty vs. Allstate
Which is best for your car?
Get quotes from verified agents easily.
Last Updated: June 5, 2023
There’s something special about buying that first car. Better yet, driving the same car for a long time. The want and need to keep your vehicle safe are unlike any other. You want to have the best possible security for your car, and you land on insurance. But finding the ideal auto insurance provider is the real dilemma.
Worry not! We’re comparing various insurance companies and reviewing their auto insurance policies, so your research is easier.
We’re going through Hagerty Car Insurance and Allstate Auto Insurance, and you can decide which one catches your eye more.
Hagerty vs. Allstate Auto Insurance: Head-to-head
|Availability||50 states||50 states|
|A.M. Best rating||A||A+|
|Better Business Bureau (BBB) rating||A+||A+|
|Trustpilot rating||4.1/5 stars||1.4/5 stars|
Hagerty Auto Insurance Overview
Hagerty is well-known in the antique automobile collector or boating community. It is one of the few companies in the U.S. that specializes in this type of insurance.
It started as a company specializing in collector boats before including collector cars. Today, Hagerty is one of the foremost names in auto and boat insurance. Its dedication to customers and extensive knowledge of the unique needs vintage cars require has given Hagerty a good reputation.
Hagerty Pros and Cons
- Personalized coverage
- Attractive premiums
- Flexible policies
- Offer full reimbursement if your car gets totaled
- Affordable rates lower than average rates
- Very few discounts
- Customer service may vary by state
- Doesn’t offer high-risk coverage
- Restrictions on coverage usage
Hagerty Insurance Coverage
Hagerty insures antique, vintage and modified cars made in 1980 or later, and classic trucks and utility vehicles. Since these vehicles aren’t used for everyday purposes, they don’t need the same coverage as standard automobiles.
Hagerty Guaranteed Value
Here’s what coverage classic car owners get under Hagerty’s Guaranteed Value policy:
- Agreed value policy: You can get a total refund of your car’s agreed-upon value without depreciation if it becomes a total loss due to a covered incident.
- Spare parts coverage gives drivers $750 of comprehensive coverage for tools that can help their vehicles run smoothly.
- Hagerty Drivers Club is a 24/7 roadside assistance program that includes battery jumpstarts, tire changes, emergency fuel delivery and more.
- Auto show medical reimbursement covers the cost of injuries up to $10,000 if you or your family members get injured during an auto show or related event.
Hagerty Insurance Coverage Details
Hagerty places certain limitations on how you can use coverage. For instance, if you have a classic car with Hagerty’s insurance policy, you can’t use that vehicle for daily driving. Every member of your family with a driver’s license must have a vehicle they can use for everyday purposes.
You need to keep your classic car in a garage or in a residential storage unit.
High-risk drivers with a history of DUIs, excessive speeding, or erratic driving are not eligible for Hagerty auto insurance. However, there are no daily mileage limitations on occasional pleasure drives, including tours, exhibitions, and more.
Hagerty Insurance Cost
Hagerty claims that its collector car policies are 39% less expensive than regular car insurance policies. Monthly premiums start at $100, but due to several factors, the prices vary by state.
How much you pay for your car insurance differs from individual to individual. That’s because of the factors Hagerty considers determining car insurance rates, such as:
- Your age
- The type of car you own
- Your location
- Type of coverage
- Your deductible
You also have the option of becoming a Hagerty Driver’s Club member for an extra $45 per year. This club is for car enthusiasts to enjoy member-only events, get select discounts, and become a subscriber to Hagerty’s magazine.
You will also lose eligibility for Hagerty auto insurance for these offenses:
- Excessive speeding
- Irresponsible driving
- DUIs and other alcohol-related offenses
Hagerty Auto Insurance by Vehicle Types
|Vehicle Type||Average Annual Premium|
|1970 Chevrolet C10 Pickup||$420|
|1974 Alfa Romeo Spider (Done 32k miles and valued at $17,000)||$261|
|1977 Mercedes-Benz 280SL (Done 87k miles and valued at $12,000)||$275|
|1999 BMW M Coupe -(Done 26k miles and valued at $33,000)||$574|
|1957 Chevrolet Bel Air Sport Coupe||$456|
|1966 MG MGB - (Done 87k miles and valued at $17,000)||$188|
|1966 Ford Mustang Coupe - (Done 83k miles and valued at $17,900)||$214|
Allstate Auto Insurance Overview
Allstate is among the top four insurance companies in the U.S. Throughout its history it has offered several coverage options with mostly stellar customer reviews, making it a reliable choice for insurance solutions. It has also gained a 10.4% market share in the car insurance industry.
It is an excellent choice if you want flexible coverage options and discount options. Allstate car insurance is available nationwide, but discounts can differ by state. Here’s a quick look at what sets the company apart:
- Extensive coverage: You can get several add-ons along with standard auto insurance coverage, including rideshare insurance, sound system insurance, roadside assistance and more.
- Strong financial stability: It has excellent ratings from third-party reviewers like A.M. Best and the Better Business Bureau (BBB).
- Usage-based discount program: You can save more on your premiums through Allstate’s two usage-based programs: Drivewise and Milewise.
Read full Allstate insurance review>>
Allstate Auto Insurance Pros and Cons
- Strong financial stability ratings
- Wide variety of coverage options
- Various reward options for driving safely, such as Deductible rewards and Drivewise, though different state laws may affect its availability
- Robust mobile and online tools for claims and policy support
- Personalized experience
- Rates exceed the national average
- Mixed and below average customer reviews for auto insurance compared to other companies
- Some policies and coverage options may be limited or unavailable by state
Allstate Car Insurance Coverage
Allstate offers various coverage options along with a variety of add-ons and benefits.
Allstate offers the following standard car insurance options:
- Bodily injury/property damage liability insurance
- Collision insurance
- Comprehensive insurance
- Medical payments
- Personal injury protection
- Underinsured/uninsured motorist insurance
You can also get these additional coverage options:
- Rideshare insurance, which protects you when you drive for a rideshare company like Uber or Lyft.
- Sound system insurance covers all your audio and video equipment from theft or damage.
- Roadside coverage or roadside assistance add-on cover battery jumpstarts, tire installations, and more.
- Rental reimbursement helps you get reimbursed for rental cars when your vehicle is under repair.
- Classic car insurance covers the cost of the agreed value and spare parts for antique cars.
- Mexico and Canada car insurance can cover your vehicle if you plan on driving across either border.
- Accident forgiveness keeps your rates from increasing after an accident, even if it’s your fault.
- Safe driving bonus lets you receive money back for every six months of accident-free driving.
- Gap insurance pays out when your car loan or lease exceeds the value of your vehicle if/when it’s declared a total loss.
Allstate Car Insurance Rates
|Coverage||Average Annual Cost|
|For good drivers||$3,000|
|For drivers with a speeding ticket||$3,213|
|For drivers with a history of accidents with injury||$3,870|
|For drivers with a DUI||$3,856|
|For drivers with poor credit||$5,051|
|For adding a teen driver||$3,948|
|For young drivers (ages 18 to 25)||$5,999|
|For senior drivers (ages 70 and 80)||$3,163|
Allstate’s annual average rates for good drivers exceed the national average of $2,150 per year by $850. Similarly, its rates exceed the national average for the following:
- Exceeds the national average of $3,074 per year for drivers with a history of accidents by $796.
- Rates are $300 over the national average of $3,537 per year for drivers with a DUI.
- $1500 above the national average of $2,419 a year for teen drivers (aged 16)
- Young drivers (ages 18 to 25) pay nearly $1,300 above the national average of $4,706 a year.
- Senior drivers (ages 70 and 80) pay $670 above the $2,498 per year national average.
Allstate Auto Insurance Discounts
Here are the Allstate discounts that can help you save money:
- Multi-policy discount
- Anti-theft discount
- Anti-lock brake discount
- Good student discount
- New car discount
- Safe Driving Bonus discount
- Pay in full discount
- Paperless discount
- Auto-pay discount
- Smart student discount
- Responsible payer discount
- Early Signing Discount
Allstate also has two programs that track your driving behavior in exchange for potential discounts.
|Milewise||Milewise has a daily base rate plus a per-mile rate, based on the miles you drive. This can save you money if you don’t often have long commutes or don’t drive as much. However, it isn’t available in all states.|
|Drivewise||You can earn rewards for simply using the Drivewise app. It analyzes your speed, braking behavior and the time of day you drive. If you drive safely, you can get cash back every six months and earn points to shop for more discounts. It is open to non-customers as well but isn’t available in every state.|
Hagerty vs. Allstate: Customer Feedback and Satisfaction
Hagerty has received mixed reviews over the years. It is quite popular among vintage car owners with many leaving excellent feedback. But it has received a few complaints too. A few customers have reported a lack of communication from company representatives when they had to repair their car, while some were made to pay out the claim. Some were also unhappy that the company doesn’t cover lowriders or modified cars.
Allstate, too, has seen mixed reviews. Positive reviews highlight helpful customer service from Allstate agents, while negative reviews talk about issues with cancelling policies and dealing with the claims process.
Hagerty vs. Allstate Auto Insurance: Which One Should You Get?
Deciding between Hagerty and Allstate boils down to what type of insurance you’re looking for. If you’re looking for standard auto insurance coverage, Allstate would be the most likely choice. If you’re a car enthusiast and have classic cars in your collection, Hagerty has coverage that would focus more on those specific needs.
To choose between the two, it’s ideal to narrow down your requirements. Make sure your needs are clear before you decide on buying policies from either company.
But make sure you do your research and learn more about both companies and what they can offer before deciding. Hit the market! Learn what your options are and narrow it down based on what your requirements and your budget are.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Hagerty car insurance good?
Yes. Hagerty offers affordable insurance policies for classic and collector cars. Keep in mind that the company has strict restrictions on how you use their policies. So, if you want flexible coverage, it’s best to keep your options open.
How is Allstate compared to other car insurance companies?
Allstate is a good option for your insurance needs, but it has some of the most expensive rates across all driver demographics. It also has comparatively below-average scores in most categories, including claims handling.
What other insurance can I get from Allstate?
Besides auto insurance, you can find these policies:
- Homeowners insurance
- Life insurance
- Landlord insurance
- Umbrella insurance
- Annuities for retirement, and more.
- Hagerty vs. Allstate Auto Insurance: Head-to-head
- Hagerty Auto Insurance Overview
- Hagerty Pros and Cons
- Hagerty Insurance Coverage
- Hagerty Auto Insurance by Vehicle Types
- Allstate Auto Insurance Overview
- Allstate Auto Insurance Pros and Cons
- Allstate Car Insurance Coverage
- Allstate Car Insurance Rates
- Allstate Auto Insurance Discounts
- Hagerty vs. Allstate: Customer Feedback and Satisfaction
- Hagerty vs. Allstate Auto Insurance: Which One Should You Get?
- Frequently Asked Questions
Find a Local Insurance Agent Near You
Get quotes from verified agents easily.
Find Insurance Agents Near You
Get quotes from verified agents easily.